The pay what you can restaurant would primarily use reclaimed and donated food to provide sit down family style meals. The donated and reclaimed food could be supplemented by purchases from local urban farms and gardens. Beer and wine would come from local brewers and wineries, and a portion of each sale would be donated to a local charity. In addition to paid staff, the diner could use community volunteers.
Why might this be a valuable idea for Indy?
- Provide a place for cash strapped families to get a fresh meal
- Shows family creative and nutritional ways to use ingredients
- Provide jobs and training to communities
- Makes use of reclaimed and donated food
- Create a place where community members can volunteer
- Create neighborhood gathering place