Indy Youth Empowerment Challenge
- 2018 Challenge Overview
- Inquire Phase (February)
- Ideate Phase (March)
- Investigate Phase (April)
- Impact Phase (May)
Youth are an important component of community development, and crave recognition as equal contributors in shaping a just society (Helgeson & Schneider, 2015). When youth become engaged in community activities they develop effective leadership skills and a sense of purpose (Brennan, Barnett and McGrath, 2009). Empowering youth within a community also reduces traditional problem behaviors (Helgeson & Schneider, 2015).
Using a people-centered approach, the Indy Youth Empowerment Challenge brings together existing conversations and a diverse set of voices through a four-month innovation process:
- INQUIRE (February): Understanding the barriers and catalysts to youth empowerment
- IDEATE (March): Brainstorming ideas
- INVESTIGATE (April): Turning ideas into solutions
- IMPACT (May): Preparing for implementation
Sign up now to attend a community workshop! While the youth voice will be amplified throughout the challenge, a diversity of ages and perspectives representing youth, education, community, business, faith, and government are encouraged to participate. You can also follow along online or host your own workshop. Please contact us if you are interested!
The Indy Youth Empowerment Challenge has multiple goals. First, through purposeful conversations, we strive to collectively discuss youth empowerment in Indianapolis. Second, a diverse set of voices must not only participate in the conversations, but also be heard. Third, as open and inclusive dialogue can lead to deeper, and ultimately, stronger relationships, an increased sense of community might result. Fourth, solutions that involve and/or are driven by youth will come out of the process.Find out more about our Challenge Champions!
In the first INQUIRE phase of the challenge, our goal was to gain a shared understanding of the barriers and catalysts to empowering youth. Using the INQUIRE toolkit, we shared stories and experiences, and collectively listened. This was done through a variety of community and youth-only workshops, in partnership with the Orr Fellowship, Teach for America, Butler University, Kheprw Institute, Warren Library, Avondale YMCA, We LIVE Indy, Boys & Girls Club, Private Reserve Outpost/apartment community, MLK Center, multiple schools, and many more participants.
Check out our insights collected below! If you have more data to add, contact us today.
The INVESTIGATE phase is now open!
In the IDEATE phase of communityINNOVATE’s Indy Youth Empowerment Challenge, lots of ideas were brainstormed. Now, in the INVESTIGATE phase, you will identify which idea(s) you are most excited about and turn them into more fleshed out solutions. Get ready!
1. Sign up now to participate in either of our two “Make-a-thon” open community workshops for the INVESTIGATE phase at the Warren library branch or Kheprw Institute. A diversity of ages and voices representing youth, education, community, business, faith and government are encouraged to attend.
2. Join others across the city by hosting your own youth workshop! This is an ideal option for teachers, youth leaders, universities, church groups, and others that work with youth and care about this topic. Use the INVESTIGATE toolkit to facilitate the workshop, and add your ideas below. Interested? Let us know!
3. Dive in on your own, and add your solutions/prototypes below!
The IMPACT phase will open in May!
Almost done! The goal of the IMPACT phase is to further prepare youth oriented solutions for implementation.
We will be providing Do Something grants (a big thank you to Renewing Management for making this possible)! These micro-grants of $500 each are designed to help spur youth oriented solutions. Applications are due May 15th, 2018, so apply NOW!
On May 19th, we invite you to attend the Youth Empowerment Summit. This event is being spearheaded by our friends at Teach for America, and is an amazing opportunity for youth. The Indy Youth Empowerment Challenge will be highlighted, and students will be able to network and match resources with ideas.
Contributions So Far
SUBMIT AN INSIGHT
I feel empowered when...
Complete the sentence…
Getting at the root of the issue…
Studies, articles, stories…